Saturday, June 27, 2015

InfoBarrel Author of the Week: Moina-Arcee (Mark Fellows)

This week, I decided to take the blog "on location." A friend of mine, Hugh Hefner, offered me the Playboy Mansion grotto as the perfect setting to interview InfoBarrel author Moina-Arcee (Mark Fellows).
Playboy Mansion Grotto Where RoseWrites Interviews Moina-Arcee (added with Pixlr)
Playboy Mansion Grotto Credit: Dirsmith1 (CC-by-SA 4.0) | Body of Woman by John (jamaicajohn on flickr) CC-by-2.0 | Moina-Arcee provided by Mark Fellows and my head added with Pixlr

Oh, I never did any nude things (that were published) and I didn't date Hef. I'm in my 40s – I'm far too old for him. 

I asked Hef his advice about a magazine for women. Not like Playgirl, something even more erotic. One that showed hot men doing housework. There were even XXX-rated videos of men asking to help fold laundry and wash dishes.

Back to Mark

I vaguely recall Mark visiting one of my articles on InfoBarrel. At the time, I thought he was female since Moina is similar to Mona. But it was more than that. He had an avatar that was pattern-like which reminded me the crafting articles that Squidoo kept pushing. At one point, I think I counted 13 of these pieces on the homepage of Squidoo (which only showcased 16 features).

So, I feel bad for not becoming more familiar with his work, until now. Plus I figured the Playboy mansion's grotto might make up for it.

Moina-Arcee (Mark Fellows) Gets a New Look

Moina Arcee on InfoBarrel (Old Avatar and New Avatar)
Both images provided by Mark Fellows (June 18th, 2015)

Nothing screams fun guy (or fungi) like a man enjoying himself inside something inflatable.

Without Further Ado

I present to you my interview with Moina Arcee (Mark Fellows). And he too answered inappropriate questions.

Writing-related questions:

Q: What writing topic gets you fired up the most? What niche(s) do you cover best?

A: I have a wide range of interests. All sorts of topics interest me enough to research and write about. I gravitate to history and religion. I have several niches: professional wrestling, science, boxing personalities, boat wrecks, rock bands and entertainers, legends and conspiracies, and so on.

Q: How did you end up on InfoBarrel?

A: By accident. I signed up a couple years ago, but didn't write anything for months. I forgot I was even a member. Then I remembered and started writing regularly, and here I am now.

Q: What is the most entertaining comment you ever received on one of your articles?

A: Vic Dillinger's harangues are always fun. Once I mentioned the Grateful Dead in passing in an article, and Vic lost it, started bitching about hippies and deadbeats. It was great.

Q: If you could change one thing about the online world (Internet), what would it be?

A: Make it easier to make money writing. [Nods. Good one.]

Personal and highly inappropriate questions (entirely voluntary):

Q: I notice you have a rubber dinghy around you, do you spend a lot of time in water? But more importantly, I want to know if you've ever "done it" in water?

A: Not touching this one. [I agree, it sounds like a good idea. But in reality . . .]

Q: If you were a musical instrument, what would you be (and why)?

A: A piano, because it is a beautiful and versatile instrument.

Q: What pisses you off the most about other writers on the Internet?

A: Nothing really. I'm live and let live. I admire good writing and I wince at bad writing, but it is not personal. [Ah, come on Mark. Doesn't anything get under your skin?]

Q: Who was your first "famous person" crush?

A: Huh? I don't think that's happened yet. [Look around here at the mansion, I'm sure you'll fall in love at first sight – plenty of times.]

Back to you and your work:

Q: What are three articles of yours that you wish everyone would read?

A: I'd like people to read all my articles, because each one is a labor of love. I'd like everyone to read about Floyd Patterson because he was an extraordinary, humble man. And an article I wrote about my favorite musician, Tim Story. And an article I wrote about musician Warren Zevon. Part of the fun in writing is finding out so much about individual people, their lives, their passions, their failings.

[I read all of these and I must say you seem to connect with the struggles of each of these men and their music brings you back to a special time in your life. It's touching how you portrayed each of these men.]

Q: Where can readers find you?

A: Facebook (Mark Fellows) and InfoBarrel (Moina Arcee). I don't have my own website right now.

Q: According to your InfoBarrel profile page, Moina Arcee is the pen name of a writer who has had two books and dozens of articles published on the same topics you write about (history, religion, culture, movie and book reviews, profiles of historical figures, entertainers and sports figures, and topics like addiction and mental health).

You also mention that "Moina" was the pen name of poet priest Abram Ryan. Moina is also the name of a genus of crustaceans known for their ability to survive in difficult situations.

It's self-explanatory why you chose this pen name, is there anything else to know about it?

A: Let me add something about my last name, "Arcee". Arcee = RC = Roman Catholic, but I am not Catholic in an exclusive way. I am Catholic (which means universal) in an inclusive way, in that God has infinite love for every creature. [Well it's a good thing I told you the interview would be at Wally's Water World. Do you think I'm going to h*ll now?]

Q: Why do you write?

A: I write because I have to. It is a form of expression I love, I love shaping articles, blending together all the twists and turns in a story, and doing it in a concise, professional, readable way. I take great care with everything I write. I go over every sentence, cutting out every unnecessary word, kind of like pulling weeds. And I try to keep my tone professional but also genuine. [Nods. You come across professional and genuine (and somewhat poetic).]

As a writer, I stay out of the way and let the story speak for itself. I've been writing all my life and I can't imagine not writing, really. It is nothing I'd ever make a living at. It reminds me of a joke:

How do you make a small fortune as a writer?

A: Start with a large one. [HA, ha, ha.]

Q: Is there any other other writer on InfoBarrel you'd like to see interviewed? And if so, is there any question you'd like me to ask him or her?

A: Sorry, can't think of any. [Well you get out there and explore InfoBarrel. If you find someone you want to know more about, shoot me a line.]

Q: Vic Dillinger was the one who recommended you to be interviewed. He wanted to know:
a) How much he means to you? [Do you two have a little bromance thing going on?]
b) Your shoe size? [Hmm, I want to know too now. You know what they say: the bigger the shoe, the bigger the foot.]

A: My shoe size is eleven. Vic wants to know how much he means to me? What?? 

Okay, maybe try this. Vic and I have some sort of connection. I'm not really sure what it is, because I often disagree with his views and opinions. [Nods.] But I respect a person who just says what's on his mind and lets the chips fall where they may. And I think Vic is a good writer and an excellent researcher, so I like reading his stuff. Except about the bunnies . . .

Q: Most writers have day jobs. What are yours?

A: Right now I work in state government as a licensed social worker with mentally ill and chemically dependent adults. I have had other careers: painting houses, landscaping, I was a lawyer once, a manager at McDonalds, ran a printing press, worked in corporations doing quality control, I've probably forgotten a few careers, I've been around. But with all the careers I've always been writing, for myself or for publication. I'm a work junkie, ha ha.

In Closing:

I want to thank Moina Arcee (Mark Fellows) for joining me today at the Playboy Mansion. 

I get the sense from reading his articles that he connects deeply with those who struggle in life (especially from an early age) and has found numerous ways to help people overcome life's difficulties. 

I feel like I could tell him anything, really. 

Be sure to tune in next weekend when I feature another worldly InfoBarrel author.

8 comments:

  1. Very enlightening, and I know Mark is very serious about his topics. Another good one, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vic, your opinion and support for this series mean a great deal to me. Mark is a sweet man and I thoroughly enjoyed reading his work and interviewing him.

      Delete
  2. Another insightful and enjoyable interview. I love getting to know other writers beyond their work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's great. I feel much more connected to the InfoBarrel community. And it's good to know about people's interests and niches. Seems Vic Dillinger and TanoCalvenoa have some things in common (a musician and books about bunnies) that they might never have known about otherwise.

      Delete
  3. wow, I had no idea this was here, lol, hi everybody, and thanks Rose for the interview, it was fun, I really appreciate how you are taking so much time to talk to and write up the writers. Very generous of you, God bless, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I had no idea this was here, lol, hi everybody, and thanks Rose for the interview, it was fun, I really appreciate how you are taking so much time to talk to and write up the writers. Very generous of you, God bless, Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Mark, I think you need to get out more often (on InfoBarrel) and learn about the peeps. Seems anyone Vic recommends I like too. (But I'm hard to please). Thanks for sending me a God bless (I might need it after bringing you to the Playboy mansion).

      And yes, I would've brought Vic here, but I doubt I'd be able to get the interview done.

      P.S. There's a big announcement in IB's forum about the new 4.0 IB.

      Delete
  5. Speaking of VIc - hey bro, 'preciate the props, U da best dawg...

    ReplyDelete